The Sunshine Coast Four Wheel Drive Club Inc. has been in existence since 1977.
We are a family orientated club and encourage all new members – from Singles to Mums and Dads with Families to Seniors to join.
Club Meetings are held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at the Palmwoods CWA hall starting at 7.30pm
The Mission Statement
To foster, encourage and advance the interest in off road and off highway travel, camping and conservation.
The sunshine coast Four Wheel Drive Club Inc. Has been in existence since early 1977, from humble beginnings of a few friends going out together, to the formation of a club. Due to the modern laws and expectations that society has forced upon us, we had to become incorporated and modernise our thinking.
We are a family orientated club and membership is open to singles, families and senior citizens.
We endeavour to organise at least two activities per month, be it either camping weekends or day trips. Other social activities like ten pin bowling nights or movie nights also make up the calendar.
We encourage all members to help with the running of the club and in particular, the planning and running of events. Join in! Its fun and you get to know everyone so much better and quicker.
Our main event over the years has been a three day 4×4 Gymkhana, held every year on the Queen’s birthday Weekend (June). Lots of effort before, during and of course after – has made our Gymkhana the “One not to be missed” in the south –east corner of Queensland. This event has enabled us to donate many thousands of dollars over the years to lifeline type organisations of which are too numerous to mention here.” Unfortunately though, due to the absence of a suitable venue this event has been put on hold until a new venue can be found.
The charities which benefited in the past from the Gymkhana were
* Energex Helicopter Service
* Leukaemia Foundation
* Make a Wish Foundation
* Nambour Hospital Children’s Ward
* North Arm and Yandina Schools
* Queensland Deaf Society
* State Emergency Services
* Sunshine Coast Scouts
* The Royal Flying doctors
* The Yandina Rural Fire Brigade
Our membership is open to persons of good character over the age of 17 years. We have two type of voting membership
- Family membership carries 1 voting right. $50.00 per year
- Dual Family Membership which is designed to give the husband and wife equal voting rights. $55.00 per year.
Plus a once only Joining Fee of $10.00 for both types of membership.
All membership is for the Financial Year and expires on the 30th of June each year. If you join midyear there is a pro-rata rate system in place.
Prior to applying for membership, you will be required to attend at least two activities and one general club meeting. At your second general club meeting you can apply to join. You will then be given a copy of the Club Rules to read before the following meeting, when your application will be voted on.
Meeting Place and Time
The club holds a meeting each month at C.W.A. Hall, Palmwoods – opposite the Palmwoods Hotel. The Annual General Meeting is in August immediately after the general meeting.
When: the second Tuesday night of the month, starting at 7.30pm.
- If you are intending to go on a trip you must contact the trip leader and let them know. If you decide not to go, you must let the trip leader know.
- Be on time – or phone the trip leader
- On arrival – introduce yourself around
- Sign Trip Sheet
- All drivers MUST be currently licensed
- All vehicles MUST be fully registered.
- All vehicles MUST be in a safe condition.
- All vehicles MUST be fitted with at least one front and one rear tow hook.
- The driver in front is responsible for the vehicle behind and must wait at the intersection/turn for vehicles behind to catch up.
- At obstacles (hills, etc) you must wait on at a safe distance until the vehicle in front calls you on.
- Vehicles should be fitted with at least one UHF Radio – Club Channel is 10. If you need a portable Club radio – advise the trip leader during the week leading up to the trip.
- Carry your own recovery equipment; use it first, if possible.
- If you are recovered – it’s your job to pack up the recovery gear.
- Leave gates as you find them
- Vehicles should always leave tracks clear when parked
- Never leave the convoy until you have notified the trip leader.
- As a general rule – domestic animals are not allowed in the State Forestry or National Parks
- You must never transverse National Parks or Forestry areas unless you comply with the conditions of the area.
- Three attempts only at an obstacle
- Never throw items of rubbish on the fire, please use rubbish bins
- Respect others when camping – noise etc
- Take your rubbish home if there are no bins supplied.
- Clean up your campsite before going home.